About Me

A family of five that has amazing opportunities to travel the world. Having lived in Beijing, China, Hong Kong,Budapest, Hungary, and Doha, Qatar, the journeys continue to unfold before us.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hungarian wells

Our new, yet old, house in Port Orchard has a well in the back. As it stands, it's not very attractive, but it does have water in it. So I have a vision of building a traditional Hungarian well. I thought that building up the walls and adding a roof, wouldn't be too difficult, but to make it complete, I'd need the turn cranks.

We walked through neighborhoods looking for these turn cranks and were able to find 2-3 loose ones laying in lots. We had a translated note saying that we were interested in the cranks, but no one wanted to part with them.
However, after a visit to an antique warehouse out in Vac, we found our turn cranks. We ended up buying two, one for each side (like I'd seen on some wells).

This summer, my goal is to build one of these!