About Me

A family of five that has amazing opportunities to travel the world. Having lived in Beijing, China, Hong Kong,Budapest, Hungary, and Doha, Qatar, the journeys continue to unfold before us.

Friday, April 13, 2012

The Cost of an Emergency

After waking up with a swollen eye and a pretty obvious eye infection, I decided I should see a doctor to get some medication. I called around to find out where to go and was told that I should go to the emergency room at the hospital. So I went early and made sure to enter through the women's entrance. It was not busy at this time of day and I was able to see a doctor immediately. She took a look at my eyes, and said I had conjunctivitis and wrote out the prescription. I then went to pick up the prescription and was charged 2 riyal for the medication. (2 riyal = 59 cents). I thought I heard them incorrectly and handed over a 100 riyal bill, but the man behind the counter asked me if I just had 2 riyal.
I then went to ask where I could pay for the doctor visit and was told no charge. So I entered an emergency room and got medication for the grand total of 59 cents. Now I'm not sure if I will get a bill in the mail or not, but in the meantime, I shall appreciate the low cost of medical care.


(photo from panoramio.com)