About Me

A family of five that has amazing opportunities to travel the world. Having lived in Beijing, China, Hong Kong,Budapest, Hungary, and Doha, Qatar, the journeys continue to unfold before us.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 6/7 - Koppl


From Lake Constance we headed toward Salzburg. Along the way, I suggested that we stop by Garmisch to look for 'The Eagle's Nest'. We didn't have a map (only the GPS), but I seemed to recall that this site was near Garmisch and I was hoping would have been marked.

As we approached a more mountainous region near Innsbruck, there was a cable car going up to a high peak. This didn't seem right though because I recalled seeing trees on the pictures. So we pulled over and asked a man who was riding a bike, if he knew where the 'Eagles Nest' was. He said we were nowhere near it and thought it was in 'Ober???'. So we continued our drive and saw a sign for Obergammer. I thought this must be it. So we drove up the long and winding road to the top of a hill/mountain. At the top there was a cable car leading to a higher peak. I went to look for signs and maps, but couldn't see any reference to the 'Eagle's Nest'. So I asked a man who was doing some maintenance on the building. He said, "Oh yes, just go to the other side of this mountain, and it is there." So I asked if there was a road leading to it. He replies, "Oh no, there is just rock. When you get there, look up, and if you are lucky, you vill see ze eagles flying." I spent the next little while laughing as I realized he thought I was looking for actual birds. We never did find the Eagle's Nest, but I'm certain we were close. Even Connor, who had been to Garmisch before for a volleyball tournament, had the Eagles Nest pointed out to him, but he couldn't remember where.

Our last stop was just outside of Salzburg in the fields of Koppl. We were hoping to stay within Salzburg, but couldn't find a good spot to park for the night.