About Me

A family of five that has amazing opportunities to travel the world. Having lived in Beijing, China, Hong Kong,Budapest, Hungary, and Doha, Qatar, the journeys continue to unfold before us.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Attempt at Fondant




I think that fondant is a beautiful thing when you see it on professional cakes. I thought I'd give it a try for Madeline's birthday cake. When I looked up the recipe on the internet, I noticed that it had a few unique ingredients like gelatin and glycerin. Well I checked my cupboards and sure enough I had both of those things.. so I went to work.

After quite a bit of confusion about how to keep it from drying out so quickly (add drops of water) and not sure what the design was that I was aiming for, I managed to get something put together. I'm still not sure how you 'stick' the fondant to the cake (use icing sugar??) and I wasn't up for adding details with icing sugar, although I'm sure it would have made the cake look more 'professional.'

P.S. It is supposed to be a pair of dance shoes on the top.